PAPER & PRINT SECTOR OVERVIEW-2020
Statistics, news & updates: everything you need to know about the Paper & Print Industry in India
- COVID-19 Impact
- Industry Clusters
- Growth Drivers
- Key Players
- Market Stats
India’s Paper and Print Industries show large potential. Demand for paper is growing, also due to an increase in demand for packaged products. Resources for the paper market are limited, but domestic production is increasing. The paper industry of India is providing employment to 400,000 people directly and 1.5 million indirectly. Paper consumption in India is approximately 15 million tonnes per annum. In addition, it is expected to reach 23.5 tonnes per annum by 2025. Some of the paper mills are existing for several decades, which make up-gradation and investments into newer machinery necessary. This opens up opportunities for manufacturing companies in the sector.
The print market in India is growing as well. This is mainly because of the growing demand for high-qualitative products. In fact, the print machinery production registered a year-on-year growth of 20% in the last few years. Besides, the two sectors projected to grow the most are packaging and published printing.
The COVID-19 impact on paper and print industry is seen to be low in comparison to other sectors. Although there is a steep decline in the print volume, the same will get back to normal once the effects of the pandemic are subsided. In fact, the print industry is expected to get a new lease of life post normalcy returns. Meaning, digital presence for print media will become critical. It will further translate into greater monetisation opportunities.
- Paper demand to grow at 6.7%. It is expected to reach 20.8 million tonnes in the fiscal year 2020-21.
- Printing and writing segment demand is expected to grow at a CAGR of 4.5%. It is expected to reach 5.8 million tonnes in the fiscal year 2020-21.
- Paper consumption is forecasted to increase by 7.6% per year in the coming years.
- India embraces 15th rank among paper manufacturing nations in the world.
- Demand for Packaging Paper & Board segment is expected to grow at a CAGR of 8.9%. It is expected to reach 11.1 million tonnes in FY21.
Key Players in India
- Trident Group, Brother, Thomson Press
- Ballarpur Industries, Sirpur Paper Mills, West Coast Paper Mills, Pragati, Khanna Papers, JK Paper Ltd., Orient Paper&Industries Ltd., International Paper APPM Ltd., Anderson Printing House, ITC
- The value of the print industry across the country was $4.33 billion as of the fiscal year 2019. Further, this is expected to go up to almost $5.8 billion by the fiscal year 2024.
- The demand for domestic paper in India rose from 9.3 million tonnes in FY08 to 17.1 million tonnes in FY18.
- The newsprint demand is expected to reach 2.7 million tonnes in FY21.
- The domestic consumption of paper is forecasted to rise to 23.50 million tonnes per annum by 2024-25. Keeping an optimistic scenario, it could even rise to 36.90 million tonnes per annum by 2024-25.
- The Indian paper & paper products market is projected to grow from $ 8.6 billion in 2018 to $ 13.4 billion by 2024, exhibiting a CAGR of 7.8% during 2019-2024.
- The growth of the Indian Printing Industry is at a rate of 12% per annum.
- 10-year forecasted CAGR for Paper Industry is 7% to 8%.