PACKAGING SECTOR OVERVIEW-2020
Statistics, news & updates: everything you need to know about the Packaging Industry in India
- COVID-19 Impact
- Industry Clusters
- Growth Drivers
- Key Players
- Market Stats
- Paper board & containers
- Wood pallets & containers
As the Packaging Industry in India grows, this sector is becoming very interesting for investors and producers. The largest part of the industry still is rigid packaging with laminate. However, flexible packaging is on the growth path. The sector is inter-related with other industries, such as food processing or pharmaceuticals. Therefore, their growth impacts the packaging industry as well.
It has also helped pro-longing the shelf life of many products. This validates the increasing demand for packaged consumer goods. In India, one can find a large base of raw materials that can be used to manufacture packaging products. Besides, there is an increasing trend of using eco-friendly or recyclable materials in packaging. The comparatively low manufacturing costs opens opportunities to foreign companies and technology. In 2019, the size of the global packaging industry was at USD 278.59 billion. Out of this, the Packaging Industry in India was valued at USD 75.95 billion in 2019. With many innovations happening, it is expected to reach USD 103.32 billion by 2025. This makes it a good opportunity for companies wanting to enter or expand the market.
The packaging industries around the globe have not been much affected by the Corona Virus pandemic. This is irrespective of the fact that the nationwide lockdown has brought the entire packaging supply chain to a halt. Because of the growing demand for essentials, the government is making efforts to continue the steady supply of essential commodities. Therefore, the production of essential commodities has been increased. These require good packaging and therefore this industry is still sustaining. Besides, many companies have shifted from China to other countries like India for packaging.
- India sees growth in consumer packaged goods.
- The market has been growing due to solid demand from food and pharma industries.
- The growth is driven by key factors such as rising population, increase in income levels and changing lifestyles.
- The fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) sector represents the largest opportunities for flexible packaging.
- India has a good export market.
Key Players in India
- 3M,Tetra Pak, Huhtamaki, Perfect Pack S.r.l., Ecobliss, Multivac, Bosch
- Essel Propack, Uflex, Balmer Lawrie, Ess Dee, max India Ltd., Ecoplast, Oricon Ent, Bajaj, AMD Industries, Jindal Poly Films Ltd., Flexituff, Polyplex Corp., Xpro India, Time Technoplast Ltd.
- The packaging industry is the fifth largest sector in India’s economy.
- The packaging industry in India was valued at USD 75.95 billion in 2019.
- It is expected to reach USD 103.32 billion by 2025. This is at a CAGR of 5% over the forecast period 2020 – 2025.
- According to the Packaging Industry Association of India (PIAI), the sector is growing at 24% to 27% per annum.