India has the youngest and most mobile population in the world. On 11th February, Adela Szatvanyi Executive Director of APAC at OSF Digital discuses about how to build a winning team in India. OSF Digital is a leading global commerce and digital cloud Transformation Company, with expertise in enterprise CRM, CMS, OMS, connected commerce, online shop management and cloud application development. OSF Digital guides businesses throughout their end-to-end digital journey, starting with consulting, strategy planning, implementation, integration and optimization, through to training, support and maintenance.
Adela Szatvanyi is the Executive Director of APAC at OSF Digital. With over 11 years of experience at OSF Digital, Adela has held the responsibilities of building teams and developing strategies for new regions. She oversees the expansion and growth of the APAC region growing a team of 70+ employees in 8+ countries all working together to deliver high-level global commerce projects to luxury and enterprise brands.
Adela shares her journey about how OSF digital built a winning team in India. Initially they focussed on having more control towards on the team certification training support. Interestingly, OSF doesn’t have a country manager in India. They don’t have that role to manage the team because they work remotely, right? Thus, the voice of each and every employees is heard by the management.
Approach of Hiring the Right People and building the right team:
OSF started in APAC six years ago, when one of their worldwide customer decided to expand their presence in APAC region. In India, they started with the project manager, a position that in OSF is an interface between the customer and the development team. Then, they started to work with an outside sourcing company and from that everything came naturally, but it was a trial and error kind of strategy. The ideal skill which the members at the OSF have are communication skills because team’s works cross culturally to deliver results.
The challenges the company came across were the people they hired were quite introvert, so instead of communicating the reason why, the resignation rate was very high because their managers were in different country and the person of contact in the same country was different.
Bridging the communication gap between employees:
After analysing the situation in India, they had to come to some creative ways wherein they can engage their employees with each other. Following were some of the ways to get colleagues engaged:
- Social conversation: Start conversation based on hobbies
- Coaching: Platforms wherein people can built their soft skills. If you want to learn how to cook, or how to play a guitar we provide them a platform wherein they can learn.
- Monthly calls: We have games, interactive games wherein we know we each other. Each monthly call there is a different owner and he introduces himself by showing pictures of hobbies, his interest. I know you even if I have never met before.
- Online meditation sessions, online cardio sessions
- Whenever possible meet with your team face to face. But since the pandemic, one person from the senior management gets on a one to one call with the employees.
They had zero resignations in 2020.
Three important key takeaways in order to build a winning team in India:
Considering the pace at which ecommerce market is growing. India has like a very interesting, very aggressive pace of growth in online. Following are the key takeaways from the Indian market.
- Communicate with your team member irrespective of their profile. Find a way to reach them out, to be more talkative, to open up and understand what they actually want.
- Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s): Define properly KPI’s for every project. You will need to set up a team for a project or running the region.
- Give peace of mind to your employees regarding administrative issues.
How can you motivate, manage and retain employees in India:
- Offers get rejected; you need a strong pipeline
- Offers get negotiated; you need a strong benchmarking
- Need for robust selection process; to mitigate early warning signs
- Team & reporting structures need attention
- Managing team from afar is challenging; need very strong connect
- High need to focus on building relationship
- Tactical actions on the ground are need
- Clarity & support
We believe that there are still a myriad of questions in your mind about hiring the right talent in the country. You can just drop in your query and our team will reach out to you. We would be delighted to engage in a one on one conversation and discuss some cases where we have supported our clients which might help you to deal with your organizational issue. If you want to know more about the session please drop in your detail to the below email id firstname.lastname@example.org. We will send you the recording of the webinar.
M+V offers support to foreign companies looking to enter in the Indian market or expand their existing business in India. For more information, get in touch with us on our email id email@example.com.
If you want to know more about Ms Deepmala Datta’s presentation for the session, you can fill in the below form.